Dr Tasneem Mahomed is an experienced female psychiatrist, currently practising in Rosebank / Rondebosch in the southern suburbs of Cape Town. She consults with adults and older adolescents.
Having graduated in 2012, she gained experience whilst working in the United Kingdom as well as working as a consultant psychiatrist at the Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital, in Johannesburg. She was also the consultant psychiatrist at the inpatient SANCA rehabilitation centre in Gauteng in 2014.
Dr Mahomed’s focus areas include the assessment and management of a vast array of mental illnesses including:
– Affective/mood disorders (depression, bipolar disorder I and II, seasonal affective disorder, etc.).
– Anxiety disorders (generalised anxiety, social anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder, agoraphobia, etc.)
– Substance use disorders / Addiction (cannabis, heroine, alcohol, cocaine, amphetamines, methamphetamines, sedatives, over the counter medications, gambling, sex, etc.)
– Dual diagnosis: Managing patients with a serious mental illness/es as well as a co-morbid substance use disorder/s
– Psychotic disorders (schizophrenia, brief psychotic disorder, substance induced disorders, schizoaffective disorder, etc.)
– Women’s mental health (mood and anxiety disorders during pregnancy and menopause; peri and postnatal depression, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, etc.
– Adult ADHD
Dr Mahomed adopts a holistic approach towards patient care and works as part of a team, with the client’s therapist, GP, occupational therapist, etc. as required.