MBBCh(Wits), FC Psych(SA), MMed Psych(Wits)
Practice number 0517542
HPCSA number MP0534455
Dr Tasneem Mahomed is an experienced female psychiatrist, currently practising in Rosebank / Rondebosch in the southern suburbs of Cape Town. She consults with adults and adolescents.
She has gained substantial experience whilst working in the United Kingdom as a staff grade psychiatrist with adults and adolescents, as an adult consultant psychiatrist at the Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital, in Johannesburg and as a consultant psychiatrist at an inpatient SANCA rehabilitation centre in Gauteng.
Dr Tasneem Mahomed has considerable expertise in the following areas:
◊ The assessment and management of a vast array of mental illnesses including
– Affective/mood disorders (depression, bipolar disorder I and II, seasonal affective disorder, etc.).
– Anxiety disorders (generalised anxiety, social anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder, agoraphobia, etc.)
– Substance use disorders / Addiction (cannabis, heroine, alcohol, cocaine, amphetamines, methamphetamines, sedatives, over the counter medications, gambling, sex, etc.)
– Dual diagnosis: Managing patients with a serious mental illness/es as well as a co-morbid substance use disorder/s
– Psychotic disorders (schizophrenia, brief psychotic disorder, substance induced disorders, schizoaffective disorder, etc.)
– Women’s mental health (mood and anxiety disorders during pregnancy and menopause; peri and postnatal depression, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, etc.)
◊ Adolescent mental health problems
◊ Individual psychotherapy
Dr Mahomed manages her client’s using a holistic approach and working as part of a team, for example with the client’s therapist, GP, occupational therapist, etc.
More information on Dr Mahomed can be found on the Qualifications & Experience, Publications and Media, and Professional Memberships pages. Additional information can be found on the Find Help page. Get in touch with Dr Mahomed using the Contact page.